Healing Support for Cancer: Frankincense
I first learned of the incredible powers of Frankincense (boswellia serrata, boswellia sacra, boswellia carteri) when researching the benefits of several essential oils a few years back. To say I was impressed by what I learned about Frankincense is an understatement.
Healing Powers of Frankincense
Since that time I have worked with several clients with high levels of inflammation, which led me to stumble upon the wonders of Frankincense yet again, this time as Boswellia extract in capsule form. Impressed once again by its potent anti-inflammatory and powerful immune-boosting properties, I read on to learn that frankincense actually increases the body’s supply of white blood cells (lymphocytes), our primary immune defense.
Over the years frankincense has been used to help support the healing of autoimmune disorders including skin conditions, digestive disorders like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and asthma. Given that many studies had already proven the ability of frankincense to influence genes to promote healing, recent research has taken that a step further to determine the cancer-preventive and cancer-killing properties of this amazing substance.
Frankincense for cancer
A study by the University of Leicester in the UK determined that it is a compound found in frankincense, AKBA, that actually targets and kills cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone and unharmed. Based on this exciting finding, there are all sorts of research trials on this subject popping up in mainstream medicine in an attempt to link AKBA as a potential treatment for cancers including brain, breast, lung, colon, pancreatic, prostate and stomach.
Dr. Hsueh-Kung Lin, an Associate Professor in the Department of Urology at the University of Oklahoma, has made some astounding discoveries through his research on the essential oil of frankincense. Here are just a few of his findings:
- Frankincense oil (Boswellia carteri) induces bladder tumor cell death, while the oil derived from Boswellia sacra induces breast cancer cell death without harming healthy cells.
- Sacred Frankincense oil (Boswellia sacra) inhibits the faulty signaling and cell cycle regulation that is thought to cause the development of cancer in the first place.
- Sacred Frankincense oil (Boswellia sacra) makes it difficult for cancer cells to form networks and disrupts cancer cell development, potentially making it effective as a defense against advanced cancers as well as for cancer prevention.
Additional studies have confirmed all of the above. For instance, in one study, the AKBA compound in frankincense was found to be effective at killing cancer cells in a series of late-stage ovarian cancer cell lines, some of which were resistant to chemotherapy. Coupled with the finding that the ovarian cancer cell sensitivity to chemotherapy increased when the AKBA compound was applied. This means that frankincense may help patients overcome drug resistance and improve survival rate, even in the later stages of disease.
Then, in a study on bladder cancer, frankincense oil was able to distinguish cancerous cells from normal bladder cells, suppress the cancer cells, and induce their death.
According to immunologist Mahmoud Suhail, frankincense exhibits power over our DNA code. He states “Cancer starts when the DNA code within the cell’s nucleus becomes corrupted. It seems frankincense has a re-set function. It can tell the cell what the right DNA code should be. Frankincense separates the ‘brain’ of the cancerous cell – the nucleus – from the ‘body’ – the cytoplasm, and closes down the nucleus to stop it reproducing corrupted DNA codes.” I’d say that’s a big deal in our quest for a cure!
In the following video, Dr. Mahmoud Suhail explains the significance of some of the pre-clinical findings on the effect of frankincense on cancer cells:
Did you find this article helpful? If so, check out these related resources from Sue . . .
SACRED FRANKINCENSE OIL DOSING AND SAFETY INFORMATION
In response to hundreds of requests for detailed dosing instructions and safety considerations for Sacred Frankincense essential oil, here it is! This downloadable pdf file represents an extended version of this article along with well-researched, detailed information on dosing and safety of frankincense essential oil when used as healing support for cancer. Download it now for just $3.99!
Purchase YOUNG LIVING SACRED FRANKINCENSE Essential Oil
For healing support and therapeutic use, the only essential oil brand I recommend is Young Living. Used in the studies referenced in this article, Young Living Sacred Frankincense is tested for purity and backed by Young Living’s Seed to Seal® standard of authenticity and purity. To order, simply click below.
- BMC Complement Altern Med. 2009 ;9:6. Epub 2009 Mar 18. PMID: 19296830
- Young Living Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) compared to Sandalwood vs. bladder cancer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25006348
- Young Living Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) vs. bladder cancer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19296830
- Young Living Frankincense (Boswellia sacra) vs. pancreatic cancer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23237355
- Young Living Sacred Frankincense (Boswellia sacra) vs. breast cancer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22171782
- Role of AKBA compound of frankincense vs. gastric cancers http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23500016
Latest posts by Susan Hughes (see all)
- Perfectionism: A roadblock to weight loss, hormone balance, and healing. - July 20, 2017
- Black Cumin Seed Oil: Health Benefits of the Blessed Seed - March 6, 2017
- 3 Super Easy Ways to Stop Spring Allergies - February 25, 2017