3 Super Easy Ways to Stop Spring Allergies
Spring allergies are supposed to happen in the spring, right? Mmm hmm. Unless, of course, unseasonably warm air makes its way through your neck of the woods ahead of time. Even if it doesn’t stick around, the warmth will cause buds to pop and pollen to be released, turning your cozy winter existence into a premature sneeze-fest! So what can you do? I’ve already written a couple of articles addressing this subject (check them out here and here), but this time I’m going to cut it down to just 3 simple ways to stop spring allergies in their tracks (even if it isn’t spring yet!)
First things first: The gut.
I know you hear from me all the time, but it’s true: your digestive system is the first line of defense against everything coming at you from the outside, including pollen. In my opinion, making sure you have a healthy balance of bacteria in your gut is a must if you want a healthy immune system. Allergies occur when your immune system overreacts, mistakenly thinking the pollen (or other allergens) is a harmful intruder. If you supplement with probiotics (good gut bacteria) and eat a healthy diet with plenty of whole fruits and vegetables, you will tame this immune system overreaction and experience less discomfort from allergies. In a 2016 study, individuals who took probiotics for six weeks while suffering from seasonal allergies reported a better quality of life than those taking the placebo.  Note that this is just one small study and, admittedly, the science is mixed on whether probiotics actually have a direct positive effect on seasonal allergies. But no matter what science says, I personally notice that my allergies get better when I’m taking probiotics. Here’s the probiotic that I use: Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life.
Breathe in something really good for you.
Diffuse Eucalyptus Essential Oil while you sleep. If you don’t know about this amazing oil, start Googling! Eucalyptus oil has been shown to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies, eliminate fatigue, and improve quality of life  It is a potent antimicrobial so it will ward off respiratory bacteria, keeping you safe from dreaded sinus infections. And finally, it smells great! Three or four drops is about all it takes in a fine mist I only recommend Young Living brand essential oils. You can find their Eucalyptus Oil here. And Amazon has some great deals on ultrasonic diffusers. This is my favorite. Check out this article on diffusing essential oils for good health.
Finally, take a natural anti-histamine: garlic!
It’s true that a health regimen that includes lots of raw garlic may destroy your social life, but the sacrifice is worth it! I have good news though, there are other ways to get the awesome benefits of garlic without the bad breath that can go along with it. Before I get into the best ways to take garlic, I want to tell you about the benefits.
Garlic enhances the healthy function of your immune system and regulates the reaction of various immune cells. So, not only can garlic prevent chronic illness and disease at the immune system level, it can also bring allergies to a standstill.  The cool thing is that while it’s keeping a healthy check on the immune system, garlic is also building the whole body up with a host of important nutrients.
And if your blood pressure is on the high side, garlic will help lower that. You can check out the full review of a few of the benefits of garlic in the Journal of Nutrition here.
I love Kyolic Formula 100 by Wakunaga. It’s aged garlic extract in capsule form and is available at many local health stores or on my own online Fullscript Dispensary. Just go on, sign up, and search on Kyolic (US shipments only).
The Bottom Line
As with any health issue, seasonal allergies are best eliminated by addressing the health of the “whole body”. Gut health, immune function, liver and detoxification efficiency, elimination, and of course, stress. The 3 simple things that I have outlined as ways to stop spring allergies will do just that. Probiotics help the gut and immunity, essential oils are supportive of immunity, detoxification, and stress handling, and garlic supports all of the above!
Purchase Garlic Extract through Sue's Online Supplement Store
Simply click below to enter my FullScript Dispensary. Provide your name, email and a password then search “Kyolic Formula 100” or go to the category “Allergies”. Select quantity & payment. Your item will be shipped out within 24 hours!
*US Shipments Only
Check out Eucalyptus Essential Oil by Young Living
I only recommend and use Young Living Essential Oils. There are other quality oils out there, but as a practitioner, I have to know, and be able to prove, without a doubt, that the oil is pure. Simply click the button below to find out more.
- Dennis, J. C., Culpepper, T., Nieves, C., Ukhanova, M., Mai, V., Christman, M. C., & Langkamp-Henken, B. (2016). Probiotics (Lactobacillus gasseri KS-13, Bifidobacterium bifidum G9-1, and Bifidobacterium longum MM-2) and Health-Related Quality of Life in Individuals with Seasonal Allergies. The FASEB Journal, 30(1 Supplement), 916-17.
- Choi, S. Y., & Park, K. (2016). Effect of Inhalation of Aromatherapy Oil on Patients with Perennial Allergic Rhinitis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine : eCAM, 2016, 7896081. http://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7896081
- Rodrigo Arreola, Saray Quintero-Fabián, Rocío Ivette López-Roa, et al., “Immunomodulation and Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Garlic Compounds,” Journal of Immunology Research, vol. 2015, Article ID 401630, 13 pages, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/401630
- Ried, K. (2016). Garlic lowers blood pressure in hypertensive individuals, regulates serum cholesterol, and stimulates immunity: an updated meta-analysis and review. The Journal of nutrition, 146(2), 389S-396S.
Latest posts by Susan Hughes (see all)
- How to Treat Hormonal Acne - October 25, 2017
- Our positive stories support healing. - August 24, 2017
- The sunshine vitamin: the many functions of Vitamin D - August 22, 2017